When Google and other search engines look for your company across the internet, they compare your company name, address, and phone number (NAP) to the ones you have listed on your Google My Business listing.
Being consistent with your NAP helps Google identify your company and contributes to your search engine ranking.
Is it bad then to use a call tracking number on my website?
Most businesses of any size use call tracking to track their marketing efforts, and Google recognizes this. Call tracking is built into Googles own products, like adwords.
There are some best practices though that help ensure your call tracking number does not affect your rankings.
1. Include your primary company phone on your website or in your websites structured data
Having multiple phone numbers on your website is common. Using structured data you can tell Googles search bots which number is your primary company phone number.
All NiceJob Convert websites use JSON-ld Schema Markup to automatically indicate to Google bots the primary business phone number.
2. Add your call tracking number to Google My Business
Some companies also add their call tracking number to their Google My Business listing so that it is officially registered with Google.
Here's how to do this:
1. Go to business.google.com
2. Click "Info" located on the left side of the page.
3. Click the pen icon beside "Phone Number"
4. Click to add an additional phone number and add your call tracking number as the additional phone number.
5. Click "Apply". Changes may take several hours to take effect.