When it comes to purchasing a domain name, we would advise for you to register it yourself. Doing this has a few important benefits:
- When you register your own domain, you input your company details to do so meaning that you own your domain and have complete control over it
- If you ever want to move your domain name it can be a lot more tricky if you haven't registered it yourself as you may not actually own it and may no longer be in contact with the person/company who does
- You will receive direct communications regarding your domain name(s) so you can stay on top of renewals and avoid the risk of your website going down because of a missed payment
If you don't already have a domain name, we suggest using NameCheap.com to purchase one.
To do this:
- Go to NameCheap.com
- Search for a domain
- Purchase it
Domains generally start at about $10 per year.
When you are ready to launch your new Convert website, you will be asked to update your name server (NS) records with the company that you registered your domain name with (e.g. NameCheap, GoDaddy etc.). After that, it can take about 24 hours for the change to take effect.
What if I already have a domain name but I am unable to update my NS records?
If your current domain provider doesn't allow you to update your NS records, you can transfer your domain name over to another provider.
To do this:
- You will need to login to your current domain hosting panel and find the section where you can transfer your domain away (depending on the provider, this could be in different places)
- When you click to transfer your domain away, you should receive an authorization code to your email, this will unlock your domain
- Next, go to the new domain provider (we recommend NameCheap.com)
- Click on Transfer Domain
- Type in the domain name that you wish to transfer
- You will then be prompted for your authorization code
- And finally, you will need to register your domain (just as you would register a new domain!)
Once you have registered your own domain, you can then update your NS records in order to launch your new website. If you don't feel comfortable updating your NS records, our support team is here to help!